Skip to main content

Fast Feet for Families 5K Recap

Good afternoon everyone!  I apologize for this taking almost a week to write, but you know how it is being a mommy and then almost having jury duty on top of it.

Now to my race.  I love racing!!! It pushes me to my limits and lets me see just how much I can push myself when I want to.  I love the motivation I get from others also!  Plus, I just feel like a BEAST when I finish.  It's amazing!!

Waking up that morning, the nerves set in a little bit, but this is my 10th race, so I pretty much know the drill by now.  I was up before the rest of my family, as usual.  Ate my breakfast of a generic egg mcmuffin sandwich (not the best choice, as I will later find out).  I woke up the hubby and the kids after getting dressed in the race outfit I had set out the night before.  As most of you know, I am pretty OCD about getting this organized and being on time, so this is normal for me and it helps to keep me calm.  Plus, it's just a good idea so you have everything ready before you head out. 

Upon arrival, I quickly headed to pick up my race packet.  I always get a little nervous when I don't have my packet the night before.  Luckily, they had day-of registration so they were running a little late.  This helped to calm me down.  So I had to stand around for a bit, but that gave me more time to stretch and get myself mentally prepared for this race.  Mind you, the weather called for 90 degrees and it was in the 80's already at 9:00.  Needless to say, my hubby (who works in a freezer) was not happy about standing in the heat while I ran and the kids, by the end, were not too thrilled either. 

Here is my before picture!! Cute, right!! (I'm a dork and so is my hubby for taking this pic.  Although I am truly grateful that he is my official race photographer!!)

 
 
 
On to the race.  I started out really strong, even with the heat.  I was so excited that I was keeping up with other runners.  I have a tendency during races to pick a fellow runner and try to match their pace.  I was fairly successful in this endeavor and what was even better was the course was DOWNHILL!!! I was so stoked that I had an awesome pace and felt super strong and beastly.  That is until I realized that I was going to have to run this same path back to the finish line (start and finish were the same place)!!  OMG!! This is where the freaking out began.  I kept pace with my fellow runners for most of the 1.5 miles to the turnaround.   I was even more excited to pass the one-mile marker with a time of 8:29 which is a personal best for me for a mile.  After this I started to slow a bit.  It was getting hotter and I was starting to feel the heat.  My legs were beginning to feel heavy and with the wait at the start, I was parched.  I usually don't stop or even take the water at the water stations for a 5K, but today I made the smart choice and jogged through taking the water and enjoying it. 
 
Moving on now to the second mile and turn around.  This is where I had to stop and start taking walking breaks, something I try SOOOOO hard not to do in a race, especially a 5K.  I mean to me, 3.1 miles is short! A year ago, I would have never said that, but today, 3.1 is nothing.  I do that or more almost every day!  I mean on training runs, I'll take walking breaks, but never in a race! I have this newfound competitiveness that I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would have.  To me, walking after the turnaround was DEVASTATING!  This is not me!  I don't walk during a race!!
 
I felt like I couldn't make it.  I can't do this.  What was I thinking running in this heat?  It was then and there that I told myself, I CAN DO THIS!  Even if I have to take walking breaks, even if I don't PR like I wanted to for this race.  I've already come so far, I can't just quit.  What kind of example would that send to my kids and family waiting for me at the finish line?  So I pulled up my big girl panties, tied my race shoes a little tighter, and sucked it up for the last 1.5 or so miles.  My times on the way back were not the greatest, but here they are.
Mile 1: 8:29
Mile 2: 9:44
Mile 3: 11:01
Finishing Time: 31:46 official (31:50 on my Nike+ Sportwatch)
 
 
All I can say when I finished, was...BOY am I glad THAT is over.  I took breaks and as you can see by my last mile time, the uphills killed me.  I had trained that week for speed, not hills.  Lesson learned:  CHECK OUT THE COURSE BEFORE THE RACE!!!!
 
Even though it was not my best time or the PR I wanted, I always feel a great sense of accomplishment when I cross that finish line.  That is the feeling that I love the most. 
 
 
(This is my favorite race picture so far!  I love how strong I look finishing!!)
 
 
So after this lousy finish, what's next for Mom on the Run?
 
I am currently training to run a faster 10K using the Gipis app on my IPhone.  I have this unofficial race on August 1.  My next "Official" races are the Electric Run on August 3 and The Color Me Rad on August 31.  These are fun runs that I am totally looking forward to. 
 
Once I finish the 10K training, I will begin training for my first half marathon using the same app.  I have a Virtual half marathon planned for September 7.  This is through the page Scrambled Legs Running and will benefit the Wounded Warrior project.  I'm totally excited for my first half!  I thought that a virtual half that I can complete on my own in any way that I want would be a good way to get a feel for this distance.  I'm also totally looking forward to my first half marathon bling!!!!
 
Keep on keeping on my fit running friends.  Until next time, God Bless!!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b