Skip to main content

A Change in Mindset and Goals

Motivational, Quote, Business ...

Since reading The Magnolia Story and my experience with my wedding rings, I have changed my mindset about so many things.  One in particular being my obsession with running and working out.  I know that my running and working out is time-consuming and a lot of our free time revolves around my running schedule because I have set these lofty goals to run races and a certain number of miles in a year.  This has also caused me to be ridiculously burned out from running.  I have lost my love of it a little bit.  So to gain that back, the first thing I am doing is to NOT set a mileage goal for next year.  I still want to train and race, but I am going to follow my plans more and not overdo it as much just to chase a number.  I am going to run more for feel and for the freedom it gives me.  I am going to run with friends more.  I am going to make running fun and enjoyable again.  I’m going to concentrate on getting stronger with more strength training and to work on my speed with shorter runs.  So far I am loving the results that I am seeing from using the Body Beast program.  My quads and calves are bursting out of my pants; my biceps are starting to firm up and have more definition; and my shoulders are getting rounder.  I actually have noticed that my stomach has gotten a little flatter and I’m really not doing much to specifically work my abs!  I can’t wait to see what other changes my body will take on as I continue with this program.

I am not sure about this next goal.  Part of me really wants to run the Madison Marathon again and to complete it in under 5 hours!  I was so close this year, so I really want to try to meet this goal.  But another part of me kinda wants to be done running marathons.  Half marathons are really more my speed.  I absolutely love this distance.  I feel like I could run one every weekend and not get bored or too worn out from it!  I’m still deciding on this one, but you guys will be one of the first to know when I do decide!

Other than that, the only other goals I have for myself are to be healthy and happy.  I love working out and will continue to push myself, but I am going to try not to obsess over it.  I want to be there more for my family and to do things with them rather than worry about if I got my workout in or not. Working out and being healthy are a priority since if I’m not happy and healthy, I can’t be there for my family.  So I am going to try my best to make sure these workouts are done early in the morning so that I have more time for my family.  There will still be short runs at night but that’s ok.  My Maddie girl loves to come downstairs and workout with me.  She’s toyed with lifting my small weights a bit and she loves using the elliptical!  I love that she wants to be healthy!  She’s amazing!

I am going to work on using this blog for more than just posts about my running and working out.  I am going to work on more expression and feeling in my writing.  I want to spend time writing about my inner thoughts while running, working out, mothering, family time, and the ups and downs of life.  I feel like I will be more relatable that way.  I want to especially work on writing about my relationship with my Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ.  Without Him I would not be the woman I am today and I really don’t know where I would be.  He is my Saviour and I will tell you more about that in another post.  

One last thing that I want to work on this year is my book writing.  I have so many ideas for children’s books, etc. but I never seem to have time to write them.  I want to spend more time this year working on these projects.

That’s all for goals as of right now.  They may change throughout the year and that’s ok.  That is another thing that I struggle with: Being so focused on making a goal and not allowing myself to change it.   Not this year! It’s ok to change things.  It’s ok to not be perfect.  It’s ok to be you!  

Remember you are awesome!  You can do whatever you put your mind too.  Here’s to an awesome 2017!  
J. Howard Miller's "We Can Do ...

“Be strong, you never know who you’re inspiring!”

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b

Batten Disease Virtual Half Marathon

An other virtual race that I had signed up for early in the year was the Batten Disease Virtual Half Marathon.  According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, "Batten disease is a fatal, inherited disorder of the nervous system that typically begins in childhood. Early symptoms of this disorder usually appear between the ages of 5 and 10 years, when parents or physicians may notice a previously normal child has begun to develop vision problems or seizures. In some cases the early signs are subtle, taking the form of personality and behavior changes, slow learning, clumsiness, or stumbling. Over time, affected children suffer mental impairment, worsening seizures, and progressive loss of sight and motor skills. Eventually, children with Batten disease become blind, bedridden, and demented. Batten disease is often fatal by the late teens or twenties." I have seen pictures of several kids on Facebook who have this disease and how they are taken so so