Skip to main content

September's 13.1 Redemption and my 5K Injury

So in September I ran another 13.1 hoping for redemption from my awful Madison Mini 13.1.  I also ended up injured and completely burnt out by the end of the month.  Here's the story!



Discover Whitewater Half Marathon
September 21, 2014

This was my redemption from the Madison Mini!  I made sure to do everything different from the Madison Mini!  I made sure to eat well the whole week before, but especially the day and night before the race.  I tried to make sure I was well hydrated all week and kept my running to a minimum.  I picked up my packet the night before and made sure to drink my Shakeology in the morning early enough so I wouldn't be too full for running.  We arrived early enough so that I could use the port-a-potty and I was ready to go.  I even added new songs to my running playlist, but set my Runkeeper app to the wrong playlist.  Oh well!  The playlist I had playing still worked just fine!  I got very emotional during the national anthem due to the significance I felt about this race and the fact that the Whitewater National Guard was going to be walking the 13.1 miles in their gear and ruck sacks!  So motivational! This was an extra push for me to get it done!  The day was drizzly and overcast so perfect for running!  I felt pretty good except that I forgot to set my watch at the beginning of the race and didn't end up setting it until the 1 mile marker.  No biggie, I moved on!! 


Before the race! My son is always a goofball!!

And I'm off!!  I love how this picture looks like I'm floating off the ground!!!  So cool!  I can really see how good my form actually is in this picture.  

Here I am coming down the drive of the high school.  The field is out back and my hubby and kids were just getting back to the race from going fishing at Cravath Lake!  They had a blast even though it was cold!!   This was some great motivation for me coming to the finish to see and hear them cheering me on!!  I was pretty much exhausted by this point!! 


I have to say I loved this race!!  The course was lovely and traveled by places that my husband and I used to visit when we lived in the next town of Fort Atkinson.  I also attended UW-Whitewater for my Master's Degree so it was a lot of fun and brought back memories when we ran through the campus!  This really was a perfect run for me!  I was in a groove for most of the race and was pacing a woman who had to be in her 70's.  She was a beast and I only finished the race a few minutes before her!  I want to be like that at her age!  Best part of the race, besides my medal, was my PR of 2:22:32!!!  Totally stoked about this!!!  This is what I am talking about!! The free wine at the end wasn't too bad either.  It warmed me up a little after the sweat dried!!  


I really like this medal!  It's something different and not too flashy!  



Henry Vilas Zoo Run Run
September 28, 2014

This is the third year I have run this race.  It is also the "anniversary" race of my journey into competitive running.  This honestly is my favorite race to run!  I love that the course goes by my Alma Mater Edgewood College!  I have so many great memories at Edgewood! I was dead set on breaking a new 5K PR today!  I had been taking my time with my running after running 13.1 the week before.  My PR for this course is 28:37 and I was certain that I could do this!  I was doing really well and was probably on pace to break that PR.  IT ended up though, that I landed on my right foot wrong or something and a pain shot up my leg into my hip! That was it, I had to walk!  So disappointing!  I had to take other walking breaks after just to finish.  I still tried to haul butt as fast as I could but it wasn't enough for a PR today.  I ended with a time of 29:15.  It's not my best, but not my worst either!  I'll take it considering I hurt my hip along the way!  


My babes and I after the race!!!  We had to take a sweaty selfie!!!

My babes ran in the 1/4 mile Roo Run!  They had so much fun!!  They love their medals and I think I may have started a healthy addiction for them!!  They both love their race bling!!

So this was an interesting month of a really big up and an injury down!  October brings rest and regaining my running mojo!!

Always remember, Be Strong, You Never Know Who You Are Inspiring!!

RUN ON!

Laura



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b