Skip to main content

Frosty Rock Challenge 12K 11/15/14

On Saturday November 15, 2014 I ran in the 2nd annual Frosty Rock Challenge 12K in Fort Atkinson where my husband and I lived when we were first married.  It's about 25 minutes from where we live now in Milton.  I really like this race.  It's a combination of road and trail route.  I usually do not run trails because I am so afraid of tripping or falling or seriously hurting myself.  I stepped outside the box and ran it last year and really enjoyed it, so I wanted to do it again this year.  

The day started off kinda rocky as I went to pick up my packet and they didn't have my number!!!  Very frustrating but I kept my cool.  I was just grateful that I had got the family out the door early so I could pick up my packet.  We actually arrived with about 40 minutes until race time.  After some checking around, I was told that I would have to fill out another registration form and that I would just have to check my number after the finish to see my official time.  Luckily as I was just about to get in line to fill out the paperwork, another volunteer came up to the table with a bib that someone had brought back because it was attached to theirs. It was mine!!!  I was so thankful that my number and everything was found.  Grateful and ready to run, I headed back out to the truck to get ready for the race.

It was cold!!  About 22 degrees!!  I wore my Mizuno tights that heat up as you sweat, my under armor shirt, my sweatshirt with the thumb holes, and my Saucony trail shoes. I also had gloves and my awesome red wool hat with the hole for my pony tail!  I actually wasn't too cold because the sun was out!  It actually was a beautiful morning for a race!

I set my phone and tried to set my watch but it wouldn't sync to the satellite so I was running just on what my phone said.  It's usually pretty accurate so it wasn't that bad.  I just have never had my Nike + not sync before a race!  It was weird running without it and only looking at the time.  

Here I am waiting for the start!  I was feeling a little cold at this point, but it was nerves as well!

It's go time!!!!  


Again, my hubby always catches some great pics of me running!  Both my feet are off the ground and my pony tail is swinging away!  Love these awesome action shots!!

The race starts on the road and follows along a country road to reach Dorothy Carnes park.  At the park we ran a figure 8 through the trails!  I was a little worried about the trails as there were leaves covering parts and I always worry that I am going to make a wrong turn and get lost. I was also a little worried about the hills!  I knew from last year that there were a lot of hills and some were steep!  It actually was not that bad!  I really enjoyed the race.  I did have several moments of feeling like I wasn't going to make it.  I was tired.  I was cold.  I have to run another hill! Everyone is passing me!  I'm probably in last place!  I have to walk AGAIN!  I felt lots of frustration throughout this race!  I knew that I was one of the slower runners, but I didn't realize that I was only about 5th from last!  I don't think that have every happened to me before!  It was very humbling! 

What I do know is that I tried my best, I enjoyed the beautiful scenery, and I am thankful that I was able to run in this race and not get injured!

The best part of finishing almost last??? There wasn't anyone else around to get in the way of my finish photos!!!  

I was really hustling down this last stretch!

Another awesome photo from my hubby!  I look so powerful!

And sweet relief crossing that finish line!!  It felt awesome to cross that line!

I was a little disappointed in my time.  My official time was 1:20:37; whereas my time last year was 1:17.  I was totally bummed, but as I was running, I had this feeling that the course was longer this year.  I knew it was different from last year, but it just felt longer.  When I got home I checked my workout journal from last year and I was right, last year the course was 7.23 miles and this year it was 7.46 miles.  So I am pretty happy with my time, seeing as the course was 2 tenths of a mile longer than last year.  I felt like I ran this race more consistent in my pace and I know I have been getting faster this year on my longer runs.  

I still have a lot to work on if I am going to run full marathons and qualify for Boston one day, but I am happy with the result of this race! 

Until next time, RUN ON, my friends!

Be Strong, You Never Know Who You Are Inspiring!!

Laura



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b