Skip to main content

Lake Monona 20K ~ May 2, 2105

The Lake Monona 20K was an experience I will never forget!  It was tough, it was beautiful, I am super proud of myself for doing it.  It was one that I had never run before and, frankly, I am wondering how I never heard of it before.  It shocks me a little actually, since this was the 37th running of it!!  I am usually so on top of all the races in the area.

Anyway, it was a perfect morning for this race.  I could not have asked for better weather.  I only wish I would have dressed a little differently.  I wore capris pants and a t-shirt.  About halfway through the race, I was wishing I would have worn shorts and a tank top.  Oh well, you live and learn. 

We got to Monona with about 30 minutes before the start time, which was perfect because I had to use the bathroom, like I always do, and the lines were not too long yet.  When I left the potty, the line had doubled in length.  Boy was I glad I didn't have to wait!  The kids were really excited to go fishing with Daddy while I was racing, but when they saw the playground equipment at the park where the race started, that had their full attention!  Poor Daddy!  He had to pull them away from the playground to get them to go fishing with him after I started.

For this race we ran clockwise around Lake Monona.  I am not super familiar with this area, but let me tell you, it is beautiful!  We started out on the Monona side of the lake.  These lake houses were amazing!  So beautiful!  I can only imagine the parties that I would have if I lived in these houses.  Beautiful front yards and even more beautiful backyards right up to the lake!  Man, what I wouldn't have given to live in one of those.  absolutely amazing!  It was perfect to run through as it kept my mind busy with daydreams of what it would be like to live there.  The only thing I think I wouldn't like, would be the fact that the houses are so close together.  Some of them you could almost reach out the window and touch your neighbor's house!  I like a little space and privacy for my house.  It was fun to dream though!

I was keeping up a pretty good pace throughout the whole race.  I was clicking off the miles at about 6 mph or 10:00 miles!  This is pretty darn fast for me, especially for a long distance run!  I wasn't feeling too tired or worn out for the first half either.  I did lose my pace for a minute or two when I reached John Nolan and saw how beautiful our capital city looked that day!  It was amazing!  I had to stop and take a selfie with the gorgeous view in the back!!  I tried my best!  It's not the greatest picture. 



It wasn't until I was at the Monona Terrace, which was also the halfway point, that I started to feel a little like I wasn't going to make it.  The wind had died down a bit and the sun was out in full force. It was really starting to warm up since the start time was 9:00.  So it was a little after 10:00 for me at this halfway point.  My stomach was starting to do some funny things also.  I had been having some tummy troubles that morning and this was about the time they decided to return.  It was off and on throughout the remainder of the race, but nothing too major that I had to stop running.  I only walked through the water stations for the most part. 



Despite the occasional tummy troubles, I really had a nice run.  Since I had never run a race this distance, it was going to be a PR for me regardless.  Even though I was kind of using this race as a training run for my upcoming half marathon, I still wanted to push myself.  I was pleasantly surprised by my pace throughout and my finishing time.  I crossed the finish line at 2:12:48.  I'm pretty proud of this time.  My fastest half marathon time is something like 2:23.  I'm feeling like I could possibly PR my half in a week!!!  The more I think about it, the more excited I am getting!!  It's going to be awesome anyway.

The best part of this race was when I was getting close to the finish, running down one of the main roads in Monona and my family drove by and waved at me!  It was just the encouragement that I needed to push through to the end of the race!  They had gone down the road a ways from the start / finish to fish on Lake Monona.  Unfortunately, they didn't catch anything, but they had a good time trying and it helped to pass the time as I was running.  I love that they come and support me and my crazy running habit!  They truly are my biggest supporters and fans.  Everything I do, I do for the benefit of my family.  They are why I run and try to be as healthy as possible!  They are my whole world! 






The finish of this race was unforgettable for another reason. I actually heard my name being called as I crossed the finish! That was truly awesome!! Not to mention that I got to see my kids and hubby cheering me on!! Perfection!!

I truly loved this race and will probably be making it a staple in my racing schedule.  It was one of the best long distance races I have experienced so far.

As always, my friends,

Run on!! 

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b

The First Monday after a LOOOOONG Break

It was so hard to go  back to work today after having 2 weeks off!!  I can never sleep the night before I have to go back to work!!  It's ridiculous!  But somehow I managed to get up to my alarm this morning and get my workout done this morning.  It's amazing how just a morning butt-kicking workout can change your attitude and outlook for the day!  I knocked out a 1 mile speed run, Insanity Max:30 Cardio Challenge and Ab Attack, and PiYo Buns.  Love all these workouts!!  They totally make my day that much better.  My theme for the day was CONQUER!  And I CONQUERED Monday!  Because of my new found healthy lifestyle and obsession with working out and running, I never miss a workout and I always feel better afterwards, even if I didn't want to to begin with.   The one thing that I really did enjoy about going back to work was the return to my routine.  I am totally a routine person and when my schedule is messed up, it can really throw me for a loop.  It was really nice to b

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe