Skip to main content

4 Year Runniversay and a Spill

Last week, March 17 was my 4 year Runniversary!!  I can’t believe I have been a runner for 4 years!!  I have been so blessed to be able to run, not only for my health and overall fitness, but also for the ability to challenge myself and to reach goals that I never thought I could.  It’s amazing how much stronger and more motivated of a person I am because of running.  

Four years ago when I stepped on my treadmill because I had hit a weight loss plateau and needed to add something else to my routine, I would have never thought I would be where I am today.  Today I have run countless 5Ks and 10Ks; a 20 K, 7 half marathons, and a full marathon!! When I started running 4 years ago, 1 mile felt like forever!! It hurt, I was out of breath, and I thought I was going to die.  It took me forever to run that mile and I never thought I would be able to run farther or get faster.  Now running a mile is nothing!  Running 5 miles feels like nothing!!  It’s crazy how things have changed in four years.  My weekly mileage four years ago was something that I never even thought about.  I didn’t care and just wanted to run to get better little by little.  I am trying to bring more of that back into my running today.

In four years, I have become completely obsessed with the numbers and trying to increase my speed and distances every week.  I am trying to get out of my head with these numbers, but it is really challenging.  I want to continue to challenge myself, but I need to remember to do it without it affecting my family life and my overall well-being. I overdid it last year at this time and had plantar fasciitis for most of my marathon training.  I am trying to train smarter this year so that this does not happen again.  

Despite being obsessed with the numbers, I am loving my runs and loving the conversations I have with God along the way.  This is one of the things that I love the most about my long runs especially.  I love that I can talk to God about anything and everything along the way and no one is going to judge me for it.  It’s one of the reasons I love to run alone.  It’s my time with my thoughts and my time with God.  We work through whatever issue or struggle I may have and by the end of my run, we have worked out a solution to it.  It’s another reason why I try to run every day. It’s my God time and I miss it and need it when I don’t run.  

Well, last week Thursday on my runniversary, I was on a roll with my speed that week and was heading home early in the morning.  One of the roads that I run on early in the morning is a country road right by my house.  I usually run towards traffic but on this road that early in the morning cars usually have their high beams on, so I cross over to the other side so to not be blinded as much by the headlights.  Well on this day my headlamp gave out and I was concentrating on my speed and not paying attention to how far I had crossed over when a car was coming towards me.  I slipped off the edge of the road into the gravel, usually I can regain my balance after this, well not today.  I totally wiped out!!  It hurt, but I got up and kept going for my last mile.  The most embarrassing part of the whole thing was that the car saw me and slowed down to see if I was ok.  I am glad they did, but it was so embarrassing!  I can’t believe I fell!  I felt like such a dork!  I ended up tearing my Under Armor pants that my hubby bought for me for Christmas one year, scraping my left knee, scuffing my shoes and hurting my right foot and knee.   Luckily, that was the extent of my injuries from this spill, besides my ego being hurt.  I really am grateful that after running for 4 years, this is the first time that I have fallen.  I have run in snow, ice, uneven trails, in the dark, and this is the first time I fell.  So, so, so thankful for that!  Truly it was me being cocky that morning and not paying attention that led to me falling.  It was a good wake up call for me.  

IMG_1410.JPG

IMG_1412.JPG

I am happy to report that after this spill, I am still running and am having the best time getting extra miles and longer workouts in over this wonderful spring break week!  I will not be discouraged and I will continue to push forward with my training!  I love running and love how it makes me feel.  One fall is not going to change that!  

Have you ever fallen while running?  Did you shake it off and keep going? How did you recover from it?  

Until next time, my running friends, RUN ON!!!!!

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b