Skip to main content

Project: Garage 2016 Part 1 Trees & Concrete

So my hubby and I have been going back and forth for years about when we should build a garage.  And after our dreams of owning the empty wooded lot behind our house were shot down when someone bought it and built a house on it last year, we knew the time for the garage was sooner rather than later.  I was still worried about the money but my wonderful hubby assured me that it was going to be okay and he was taking care of that part.  Really this is his project.  I haven’t really had much to do with it at all.  He’s asked my opinion on a few things but this is his baby and I am happy to let him have it.  With that being said, I have been more stressed out about it and anxious about it than he has!!  I am such a dork about spending a bunch of money and get huge buyer's remorse when I pay a lot of money for anything, yes even when I buy my running shoes!  

Anyway, my hubby started looking for builders in April and we finally picked one the beginning of May.  Before any work could start we had to have 6 trees cut down.  That happened on May 23 and it took us that whole week to clean up after it.  We had to level out where the stumps were ground up and remove some of the larger pieces of roots and piles of sawdust.  Then we had to cut up the trunks that were left for us per our request.  We have a woodburning stove in our living room so we will definitely be using this wood. We just didn’t realize how much wood this was going to be and where we were going to put it all!!  My hubby got the fun job of using the chainsaw to cut it all up and I got the fun job of hauling the logs and building a log wall between the trees along the back of our property.  I’m not complaining (too much), I am scared to death of the chainsaw so there was no way that I was doing that job!  It was a lot of work hauling all that wood, but I am so proud of my wall!  It looks amazing and I kinda don’t want to use this wood now!  I kinda want it to stay there permanently!  

IMG_2341.JPG IMG_2342.JPG
I am so stinking proud of this wall I built with my bare hands!!!  I am a beast and I will shout it from the mountain tops if I lived near one!  I made Maddie stand by it to show the size of it, otherwise the kids are NOT allowed near it!


So after the trees were taken care of the builders could bring in the concrete company they contracted with to dig out the side of my yard, pour the foundation and slab.  It really hit me when I came home Friday June 3 and there was a digger in my yard!  I literally had a panic attack in the middle of my yard seeing it sitting there.  NOw let me also say that this was the last day of school for my Maddie and EJ was done the day before., so I was full of emotions this day anyway.  Seeing the digger put me over the top!  My hubby called me after I sent him a text saying that I was ready to puke!  He tried to talk me off my ledge but I was in a state of panic.  I guess I was just completely overwhelmed by everything and the reality that we are actually doing this set in!  He finally settled me down but boy this experience is sure doing a number on me.  Later that night I had another breakdown at Perkins.  This was due to comparing pictures of my kids from the first day of school to the last day of school and seeing how big they have gotten in just one year.  I am so proud of them and how much they have learned and grown this year.  They had amazing teachers this year and I am eternally thankful that we decided to raise our family in Milton.  

IMG_2502.JPG

So after my breakdown about the digger, the concrete company came Saturday morning (June 4) to dig the trenches so that they could get ready to pour the footings for the concrete walls that are the foundation of the garage.  My hubby had to work today so it was just me and the kids waiting for them to come, actually it was just me as the kids were still asleep.  I had gotten up early to get my run in before all the action took place.  I am so thankful that my parents called and asked if they could come over to watch the digging.  It was really nice having them there to talk to and keep me calm.  NOt that I really had anything to worry about, but after my breakdown last night, it was nice to not be alone.  The kids actually didn’t watch the digging that much.  EJ didn’t want to be out in the rain once that started and Maddie just wanted to be held the whole time.  For whatever reason that day she refused to put shoes on and was being really clingy.  It truly didn’t take them that long to dig up my whole side yard and be done for the day.  It’s amazing how fast these things happen.  

IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2514.JPG

Trust me though, initially throughout the concrete-laying process, I went through a constant cycle of wanting to curl up in the fetal position, rock back and forth and cry; puke anywhere and everywhere; and absolute joy and excitement for the final outcome. Mind you, I have been at work through most of this process and am coming home to see what has happened to my property all day long.

The following Monday (June 6) the footings were poured in the bottom of the trenches and the forms for the walls were left for the following day.  This is when I really started freaking out.  I was so worried about the kids falling in and ruining the cement or that the giant groupings of forms would fall on them that I was constantly yelling at them to get away from the hole.  SO much so that Jason and I finally said no friends over for the rest of the night.  I was thinking until the project is done!  We already had a basketball go into the hole.  It wasn’t as bad as I am making it out to be but this project is a big deal and I just don’t want anything to go wrong.  Plus I don’t want any of the kids to get hurt.

IMG_2538.JPG

The next day the concrete company was back to place the forms and pour the concrete walls.  I literally cannot believe how fast this process is going.  There were 3 walls completely up when I got home from work!  It’s totally crazy to see how different my house looks every day!!  I think this is the day that I really started to get excited about my new garage!  I mean it looks like there is a garage being built finally!!!  

IMG_2549.JPG

Then on Wednesday the forms came off but were still packed up around the yard.  This is so nerve-wracking for me!  I am so afraid the kids are going to knock them over and get hurt in the process.  Luckily none of that happened and by the time I got home on Thursday, the forms were gone and the big truck that had been parked on our side street was gone as well.  There were still trenches along the sides of the concrete walls and I was still nervous that the kids were going to fall in, but that didn’t happen either.  


IMG_2576.JPG

I am so looking forward to more and more progress on the garage.  The more I think about it, the more excited I become.  I am so looking forward to not having to scrape the ice and snow off my truck this winter!!  I am looking forward to not having to unload my groceries in the rain and snow either.  There are so many positives about building this garage finally!  Of course, It has also opened up the door for multiple other projects.  But that is for another time!  Right now I am going to be happy with the prospect of my garage being completed soon!!

Up next, my Fort Atkinson Half Marathon recap and another exciting announcement!!

Until then!!  

RUN ON!!

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b