Skip to main content

Henry Vilas Zoo Run Run 5K Recap

This is probably one of the best blog posts I get to write!

On Sunday, September 25, my mini-me and I ran the Henry Vilas Zoo Run Run!  It was my 4th time running it and it was my mini’s first time running this race and her 2nd 5K ever!  She was awesome!  

We had planned to run this race since July and we spent lots of time planning our outfits.  This year the theme of the race was Predator V. Prey and you could choose to run as a Zebra or a Lion.  Mads and I decided to run as Zebras.  We also were able to start the race a few minutes before the lions!  The goal was to not get eaten by the lions!  It worked for a little bit!

I went on Amazon to look for Zebra leggings and Zebra costumes almost immediately after registering for the race.  I was able to purchase leggings for both of us and a combo headband with ears and tail set.  We were to get headbands at the race but I didn’t know that when I ordered these.  Plus they didn’t come with tails!  I couldn’t find tanks for us to wear but my mom bought us zebra print duct tape to tape on our shirts for stripes.  It worked out fine and we looked so cute!  We even used black eyeliner on our faces to draw zebra stripes.  I cannot tell you how much fun this was!  

We woke up early for race morning preparations.  It was so much nicer having a buddy to get ready with instead of all by myself like I usually do.  We got dressed, ate a light breakfast, and helped get the boys ready to go.  Mads was so excited that she was bouncing all over the place, helping get ready, talking everyone’s ear off, and just being super cute.  Nana was able to get off work early so she joined us at our house to ride along.  She’s never missed our Henry Vilas Zoo Run experiences.  She was a trooper after being on her feet all night taking care of patients (she’s a CNA at a nursing home).  

We left our house at 7:40 so that Mads and I could get our packets before the race began at 9:10.  Daddy dropped us off at the gate and went to find a place to park.  Maddie was so excited we almost ran to the tent for our stuff.  She was so excited to get her bib, t-shirt, and headband.  We decided to save the ones from the zoo and wear the ones we had purchased.  After we got our stuff we headed to the starting line area.  We were hoping to run into Nana and the boys, and luckily we did.  Gramma and Poppa joined us soon after.  Mads and I pinned on our bibs (I only stuck her twice!).  We were numbers 550 and 551.  We took photos, stretched a little bit and then were ready to head to the starting line.

IMG_4167.JPG IMG_4174.JPG IMG_4192.JPG


The 10K race started at 9::00 and the 5K started at 9:10 and because we were running as zebras, we were able to start a few minutes before the lions.  We tried really hard to stay ahead of the lions, but they soon caught up to us.  This was a mental challenge for me since I am so competitive.  But the goal for today was to have fun and finish happy with my mini!

IMG_4176.JPG

We were trucking along pretty good and I was so proud of her.  We took walking breaks and I brought my handheld water bottle along so we could stay hydrated.  The temps for the race weren’t horrible but it was very humid.  I was sweating like a pig before we got to the first mile marker!  

IMG_4193.JPG

This girl though!  OMG!  What a trooper!!  She was doing so well.  We even had a 12:52 time for our first mile!!  I was running miles like that by myself on Saturday during my 18 mile training run!  We slowed down quite a bit after that but it was to be expected.  She is just like her mother!  I always start out too fast!  We’ll both have to work on that now!  I think we got caught up in the crowds as well for that first mile.   Our second mile was quite a bit slower at 15:44 and our last mile was at 14:42. I am just seriously so impressed with her, I can’t even stand it.  

IMG_4181.JPG IMG_4182.JPG

We took lots of walking and drink breaks those last 2 miles and I knew she was struggling.  I kept encouraging her to keep going and to keep her eye on the prize.  That prize initially was just our finisher medal, but the more I could see her struggling, I knew I had to up the ante.  She always asks if we can go to the gift shop or get a toy when we go basically anywhere.  I had told her earlier that we would maybe go to the gift shop but that I wasn’t sure.  I knew she needed an extra push to make it to the finish line so when I asked her what the prize was at the end toward the end of the race and she said medal, I said and what else?  She squeaked out, “gift shop?”  That’s right baby girl, you can go to the gift shop!  That shot her forward and when I kept telling her to keep her eye on the prize during the final stretch, I could hear her saying, “stuffy, stuffy, stuffy” as she was running along. She is totally my stuffed animal girl and I love her for it.  I was a stuffed animal girl in my day too.  I can’t blame her!  They are really cute!  

We walked a bit towards the finish line and then surged across at a very quick pace!  Boy was that girl thankful to be done! She was smiling ear to ear to get that medal though!  And I have to say, this medal was one of the coolest medals I have received at a race this year so far!  

IMG_4194.JPG

We met up with our cheerleaders, got some more pictures, and then walked around the zoo.  There were a few booths handing out free samples which we grabbed and then Mads and I headed to the refreshment tent.  We grabbed bananas, granola bars, and bagels.  I really didn’t need to eat much at all but I grabbed a cinnamon raisin bagel and devoured it.  Mads ended up sharing her bagel with Gramma and Poppa and eating some of Nana’s trail mix instead.  I was encouraging her to stay hydrated as well.  

IMG_4185.JPG IMG_4189.JPG IMG_4190.JPG

We ended up walking around the zoo for a bit and then heading to the gift shop.  I was able to get a free beer which I gave to the hubby.  I did have one drink but boy was that disgusting.  I do not have the taste buds for beer I guess.  I’m not a big drinker anyway, just an occasional glass of wine at the holidays.  He usually takes my free beer from any of my races.  I guess it’s a small consolation prize for having to deal with the kiddos while I’m out running.  

Anyway, my kiddos are the most spoiled kiddos on the planet I think!  They were both able to pick something.  Maddie choose a polar bear and a matching baby polar bear.  EJ picked a wolf pillow and a baby polar bear.  It’s worth it! Maddie was an awesome runner and EJ was a great supporter!  

We then made EJ’s day and headed to our favorite eating place whenever we are in Madison--Pizza Ranch of Sun Prairie.  Boy do they have the best pizza buffet!  We requested a macaroni and cheese pizza right away when we got there.  Maddie devoured almost 3 pieces of it.  It’s her all time favorite pizza.  EJ loves the bread sticks and had a plate full of those.  I love all the different pizza choices and the fried chicken.  I totally ate more than I should have after only running 3 miles but I didn’t eat that much after my 18 miler on Saturday, so I guess I made up for it today!  LOL  I don’t think I did too bad overall and I ended up having a light dinner later on.  It’s all about balance anyway!!

We ended up getting stuck in traffic on the way home, but that was ok with me.  Both Mads and EJ slept the whole time.  They definitely needed the nap!

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and watching football.  Sadly, our Steelers lost to the Eagles, but there’s always next week.  

Well that’s that.  My next race isn’t until October 30.  I have a half marathon 2 weeks before my full marathon.  Probably not a good idea but I’m already signed up so I’m going to do it anyway.  I’m just going to keep telling myself that it’s a training run and to take it easy.  We’ll see how that goes.  

IMG_4195.JPG

Until next time my friends,

RUN ON!!

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b