Skip to main content

An ephiphany I'm proud to share

As most of you know I love to read.  There is not a point in time where I am not currently reading multiple books whether for pleasure or for school.  I guess it’s a good thing I teach reading for a living!  

My mom recently gave me her book to read, The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines from Fixer Upper.  I absolutely love Chip and Jo!  I am obsessed with watching their show as well, and reading their book only makes me love them more as a couple.  They really remind me a lot of my husband and I.  Chip is goofy silly and always tries to make Joanna laugh.  Jay does the same thing with me.  Chip has a million projects going on a one time and so does Jay. I’m very conservative and reserved most of the time like Jo.  I’m a penny pincher and planner like Jo.  Chip and Jo compliment each other like Jay and I compliment each other.

October 18, 2016
HarperCollins Christian Publishing

Well, I’ve been really enjoying this book and have a super hard time putting it down which has been nice during the taper before my marathon and recovery afterwards.

I was reading one of the chapters on Saturday before my marathon and was emotional to begin with, but Jo was recounting one of their anniversary memories.  

When Chip and Jo first got engaged, Chip let Joanna create her engagement ring.  I had a similar experience in that I had found a set that I liked at Wal-Mart of all places that had crosses on either side of the diamond and three crosses on the band.  So I told Jay about it.  Literally, a day or so later he went and bought the set along with the matching band for himself.  However, he went to Jared (yes, he went to Jared!) to purchase a larger diamond than the teeny tiny one that was in the original ring.  My diamond is a perfect third of a carat. It’s a princess cut set to look like a diamond.  I absolutely loved that ring from the day he proposed. However, once we had kids, it didn’t fit and then the band broke, and then I had this crazy notion that I needed a bigger diamond and since I couldn’t afford a real one, I kept purchasing fake ones.  I loved all the attention I got from those rings, but deep deep deep down I knew I was being silly about it.  

Back to Chip and Jo, on their 12th anniversary, Chip arranged for their original jeweler to replace Jo’s diamond with a larger one, like her father had done for her mother.  But Jo loved her ring so much she told the jeweler, “I’m sorry, but no.”  She really loves her original ring just the way it is.  

This really hit me hard!! (Remember I was emotional to begin with!) I immediately took off my huge fake diamond. Put it away in my jewelry box and brought out my original engagement ring and wedding band.  I put them both on even though the band is broken and has a piece missing from the underside.  I cried as I put them on.  (Remember I’m full of emotions from tapering and getting ready to run a marathon.) I didn’t realize how hurtful I was being to the symbol of that ring.  My adoring, loving husband went out of his way to choose this ring for me and I have been totally selfish and a little egotistical in not wanting to wear it because I thought it was too small and that I deserved bigger.  

Boy was this a wake up call!  I felt like the hand of Jesus just came down and slapped me across the face.  Boy did I need it.  I have since put all my fake diamonds away and I have not taken off the rings my husband of almost 10 ½ years gave to me back in 2005 and 2006.

IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0782.JPG
(Forgive my incredibly dry hands, these aren't the best pictures but you get the idea)

I don’t know why this happened now.  It’s been so long since I have consistently worn my original ring.  It’s funny how just reading about someone else and their opinions can make us change our own minds about the way we see things.  

Since reading this book and this experience with the rings, I have changed my mindset about so many things.  However, that is for another post.  This post is about my love of my wedding ring and the joy it brings me just looking at it!  I am proud of my perfect ring and the perfect man that gave it to me.

This one’s for you honey!  I love you Jason!

IMG_9835.JPG

Until next time,

Laura



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b