Skip to main content

Marathon Training Recap Week 17--It's Almost Over!!!

Marathon Training Week 17!!!  I can’t believe it’s almost over!!!!

Sunday 10-25-15
So today I rested.  I wanted to get out and run 8 miles to make up for some miles lost last week.  But then I kept snoozing the alarm.  Then I thought I could just run 5 miles and at least have done something.  When I finally got up, my EJ was up and so we snuggled together on the lazy boy recliner and watched The Golden Girls.  It was so nice to just sit and relax all morning.  I struggle with rest days and not working out.  Mainly because I struggle with my eating and usually overindulge on the weekends and regret it all week. I know my body needs to rest and I know it is good for my body and my soul to eat the foods I really enjoy and want to eat.  It’s just hard to find a balance.  I am struggling with this taper also.  It’s my first time really tapering for a race and I’m finding it more difficult than I thought I would.  I am so used to running a lot of miles that it is very hard to only run a low amount.  I am struggling big time.  It sucks. I know it will be all worth it in the end.  I know it will help me to have an awesome race in 2 weeks.  I will survive. I can’t say the same for my family who has to put up with me though!  LOL

Monday 10-26-15
Boy did I have a hard time falling asleep last night!  I think I got too much sleep and rest this weekend that I just could not get myself to settle down.  I spent forever aimlessly scrolling through Facebook and then tossing and turning.  I finally fell asleep and the alarm went off way too soon.  I snoozed it several times and finally dragged my butt out of bed for Arm day.  I completed P90X Back and Biceps using 40s for lawnmowers, 30s, 25s, and 20s, for all the rest. I tried to keep the 25s and 30s for biceps for the most part.  It felt really good to start lifting heavier again.  My cold seems to finally be going away so I am feeling a ton better and ready to push myself.  I had some extra time (on purpose of course) so I did my Deadlift sets.  I did strip sets of deadlifts and single leg deadlifts for 10 reps using 40s, 30s, 25s, and 20s.  I’m hoping my legs aren’t too sore this week from this routine!  I actually still had a few minutes left by accident, so I did some glute bridges with a 40lb. weight on my hips. I did reps of 10 for 4 sets.  I know I’m going to feel that later!  That was tough!  

I am really going to try to stay focused on eating healthy and doing what is best for my body the next 2 weeks especially but I really want to make this a lifelong habit.  I don’t want to feel overly full anymore.  I don’t want to have to worry about my clothes fitting or feeling bloated the next day because of something I ate.  I don’t want food to control my life anymore.  I want to be a more active, happy mom and wife for my family.  They don’t need the crabby mom and spouse who is upset about over-eating.  I need to know when to stop and to leave it at that.  I’m learning!  It will get easier!
IMG_9575.JPG

Mads and I finally got back out there tonight.  We ran 1 mile around our block.  It was very nice to take it easy and have her be excited to be back running and ready to rock the Santa Hustle in December.  She is such an awesome kiddo!!
IMG_9577.JPG

I did my Core workout tonight after getting all my other chores done.  It felt good to do it after not for a few days.  I did 200 ball sit ups, glute bridges with EJ as my weight, and metronomes with the ball.  I’m going to feel this for sure!

Tuesday 10-27-15
I am so not a fan of running in the dark.  I am thankful for my small town and my vest, pepper spray, and all the other things I carry with me in the morning, but I seriously cannot wait for the time change!  I can’t wait for it to be at least a little lighter in the mornings! I completed 5 miles this morning and it was a little rough.  I don’t know if it was from the deadlifts yesterday or stiffness from lack of movement.  I know my PF has been flaring up also and I caved and taped myself up last night.  Anyway, I was glad to get out and get it done.  I always feel a ton better when I run!  


IMG_9580.JPG

So Mads, EJ, and I were supposed to run after school today, but it was raining so they came downstairs in the basement to play while I did a short workout.  I did a strip set of deadlifts and single deadlifts with 40s, 30s, 25s, and 20s 2 sets for 10 reps each.  I did 20 split lunges on each leg and then worked on my biceps.  I did a strip set of those also.  30s, 25s, and 20s, 3 sets for 10 reps each set. I was dripping in sweat and it only took me 40 minutes to complete it.  I can totally feel it in my legs already!!  

Core workout was not a whole lot tonight as I was busy getting extra cleaning done and getting myself ready for conferences at school the next two days.  So I just did 250 sit ups on the exercise ball in reps of 50.  It was enough to get my core working and I feel like it might be helping to get the abs stronger.  I know it’s not the most effective way, but like I’ve said before, it was what I had time for at the moment and I do actually really like it.  

Wednesday 10-28-15
Today’s run was so much fun!   It was raining lightly so I couldn’t wait to get out there.  I love running in the rain.  For me, it’s totally cleansing and refreshing.  I feel like all my cares are swept away and I have no more worries at that moment.  It totally helped to set up my day for professional development all day and conferences all night.  The run itself was really good.  I was surprised by how good my legs felt even after deadlifting last night. The rain may have helped with that though!  I just felt so good and so motivated to run today!  It was really nice for a change since I have been feeling sluggish and unmotivated.  I think I am ready for marathon training to be over.  As much as I am excited about my race (and nervous at the same time), I really can’t wait to not have to run a certain number of miles each week.  I like knowing that I don’t have a plan to follow and can just run as I feel.  I’m really excited about it.  

IMG_9590.JPG

When I got home from conferences tonight, the kids insisted that we run on the treadmill.  They had been asking to use it for a few days now, ever since I suggested it.  So despite being tired and it being later than I would have liked to run, we took turns running on the treadmill.  The kids were awesome!  They were even doing bursts of 5 mph!  I was so proud of them!  I love that they want to be active! I even got in an extra mile, and a pretty fast one at that.  10:47 was my time!  Not bad for not running on the treadmill in months.

IMG_9594.JPG



Thursday 10-29-15
So today is day 2 of conferences and I will be sitting all day again today. I also didn’t have to be to work as early so I was able to run 6 miles.  Boy was that interesting though!  Between the cold, the wind, and my sore legs, it was a serious struggle!  I wanted to call it before I even made it to halfway!  It was bad, but then I realized how much better I will feel and that the only reason my legs are sore is from sitting for 12 hours yesterday.  I have to do that again today, so I needed to move!  I actually felt pretty darn amazing after this run!  Freezing, but amazing none the less.  I have some soreness but again it’s from sitting all day!  I am going to have to make it a point to get up and move more today.  I don’t have too many meetings, so I should be able to get up and move around!  That will make a difference!

IMG_9600.JPG



Friday 10-30-15
I really didn’t want to wake up this morning, but I have goals and a routine, so I got myself up and ready to workout.  I did P90X Shoulders and Arms lifting as heavy as I could.  I knew my body was tired, but I also knew that this was the last workout to really push myself before my marathon!  I still can’t believe that is only about a week away!  So I pushed myself and it felt great.  I actually woke up because of it.  I felt alive and full of energy after a few sets.  Because I had the day off as a recovery day from conferences the past 2 days, I had extra time before I had to get hubby and the kids up.  Maddie still had school today also.  So I did some leg work for the last time before my marathon!  I did my strip set of deadlifts and single deadlifts using 40s, 30s, 25s, and 20s for 10 reps twice.  It was a good workout but I think my legs are getting used to it so I’m going to have to up my weight or reps to make it effective after my marathon when I’m focusing on building muscles.  I also did some split lunges.  I did 20 reps on each side twice.  That really burned my thighs! It was a very good workout.  

IMG_9611.JPG


I spent the rest of the day hanging out with EJ, going to lunch at Maddie’s school, laundry, going to Maddie’s Halloween parade, making apple breads, banana breads, and crockpot applesauce with all the apples we gathered at the Apple Barn last weekend.  The house smells delicious.  I still have more to bake either tonight or tomorrow with the applesauce.  I’m planning to make spiced applesauce bread and applesauce muffins.  I love baking and I love apples.  This is so awesome that I have found some healthy recipes to make delicious goodies for my family.
IMG_9612.JPG
Mads insisted that I stay for recess and hang out with her and her friends.  It was fun to hear their conversations and see what the cool games on the playground are!  It was a lot of fun!


Saturday 10-31-15
I was so busy yesterday getting so much stuff done that I was exhausted and really didn’t want to wake up to run this morning.  Plus it was raining and I really didn’t want to run out in the rain.  I had run in the rain too many times already.  I eventually rolled out to bed when it seemed like the rain wasn’t too bad.  I was supposed to run 8 miles today, but because I was later getting out I decided on my 5 mile loop.  Once I was out and running though, I decided to run my 6 mile loop.  I had it figured out that I would only have a couple miles less than what I ran last week if I did that, so that was appealing to me.  I know I am tapering so I actually should have less mileage than the week before right now.  It actually was a really nice run.  I set out my workout plan for the next 2 weeks and have an idea of what I am going to do after I have recovered from my marathon.  Having things all planned out has made me really excited for my marathon.  I actually cannot wait to run it now.  I’m such a planner!  And my OCD helps settle me down when I’m nervous.  I took it nice and easy on my run also.  I know I’m going to get in lots of extra steps while we are out trick-or-treating! I’m excited for my kiddos!  They can’t wait!  It’s going to be so much fun!  Plus we get to change the clocks tonight!!  YES!!!   I have been waiting for this all week!  I am so excited for it to be a little lighter in the mornings!  I am so going for a run tomorrow morning because of it!  (That and we get an extra hour of sleep!!!)

IMG_9628.JPG




Until next time, Run on, my friends!!
And always remember:
316.JPG

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b