Skip to main content

Marathon Training Week 14 Recap

Marathon Training Week 14 was an interesting week.  I am feeling positive about my running but negative about my weight.  I am proud of my muscles but irritated that my mom belly is not disappearing as fast as I would like.   Read on for more of my running, lifting, and weight loss ramblings.

Sunday 10-4-15
I slept in this morning until 9 am!!  It was fabulous!  We had a family breakfast together and spent the morning chilling around the house.  Mads, EJ, and I wanted to try out our new running shoes so we went for a short run to test them out.  EJ still is not my runner boy, but he is only 5 and I give him credit for coming with us.  He was really excited to start out with and then petered out at the end.  He’ll get there if he really wants to.  Maddie did amazing, again, of course.  She wanted to go, go, go!  I finally let her run ahead of EJ and I because she was so speedy.  She rocked it!  She is going to do amazing at the Santa Hustle in December!!  I am so proud of her!  I wore my new New Balance shoes to test them out and I loved them!  They have so much cushion in the heal!!  My feet were feeling fabulous!  I can’t wait to take them on some longer runs! I’ve got BBQ chicken in the crock pot and I’m making homemade mac and cheese with whole wheat noodles for dinner. It’s a great day for some yummy comfort food.  

IMG_9395.JPG

Monday 10-5-15
Arms were totally jello and shaky after my workout this morning!  I loved it!! It was just what I needed.  My legs and especially my PF foot have been a little touchy this weekend after my long run.  They really needed the added break.  Plus I haven’t lifted in almost a week so my arms were like, “WHAT?” It felt awesome.  I added in a bit of my core workout just because I had some extra time before I absolutely had to get ready.  Hubby needed to get to work early so I had to get moving, but it was nice to be able to get this workout done and then also be able to add in some core.  I know I really need to work on my core and I know a lot of that is from my lack of eating healthy.  I am really trying to work on it.  I am sick and tired of overeating and feeling gross afterwards.  It really only happens at night for dinner.  I do so well all day because I don’t want to feel gross at school.  I just need to remember that at night when I am home and all the temptations are around me.  I’ve got to kick in into high gear.  I only have a little over a month until my marathon and I want to be strong and healthy.  I don’t want food to control my life anymore.  Food does not define me.  I DEFINE ME!!
IMG_9403.JPG
Can you see the definition in those arms??  I can start to see it a little bit.  They are getting there at least.  


Tuesday 10-6-15
Boy do I love to run in the morning!  Actually it was a little hard getting going this morning.  I wanted to stay snuggled up in bed with my Maddie girl.  It was dark and foggy and I was just not feeling it.  But as soon as I was out there, I felt much better.  The fog was a little eery this morning.  When I started out at 4:30 it wasn’t too bad, but by the time I was heading home at 5:30 it seemed to be getting worse.  It was very strange and my paranoia started to set in.  I was running past a corn field close to my house and kept picturing weird things coming out of it.  It definitely made me run faster to get home! I did have my blinking vest, head lamp, and a flashlight with me, but I also pulled out the pepper spray from my water bottle pocket and held it in my hand, ready to spray if I needed to.  I’m more worried about animals coming out of the fields than people, but you never know and I wanted to be prepared, just in case.  So I ran 6 foggy miles this morning and came home completely drenched.  I wore a long sleeve shirt this morning and that was definitely a mistake.  Overall it was a good run.  My legs were tight to start but then they warmed up and I felt great.  

IMG_9406.PNG

I’ve decided to not push myself quite as much in the morning since Mads and I will be doing some extra training runs for her in the evenings.  I am really going to focus more on my nutrition and what I am putting in my body instead of torturing my body with extra workouts.  I am going to focus more on being healthy and present for my family.  I am going to try my best to do my core workout every as well.  I really need to work on tightening up my core and making it stronger so that I can be a stronger overall runner.  I love running and it’s truly who I am, but I am actually really excited to do more strength training after my marathon.  I’m also really excited to run just for fun and because I want to, not because I have to and because I have to run a certain number of miles.  


Wednesday 10-7-15
Today was a much better morning for a run.  The moon and stars were so bright!  I almost didn’t need my headlamp and flashlight!  But I’m glad I had them anyway! I am so looking forward to the time change in a few weeks.  At least it will be lighter in the morning.  It will be darker at night which means Mads and I are going to have to get out sooner but I’ll feel a little safer in the morning with more light!  I’m sure my hubby will too, even though he doesn’t admit that he worries about me while I am running, I’m sure he does.  Partially because, who would take care of them all?  No, I’m kidding!  He worries about me!  

Anyway, my run today was tough to start.  I woke up with my left hip really sore. I don’t know if I over stretched it while doing metronomes for my core workout or it was wearing heels all day yesterday, but it was hard to walk to begin with.  It took me awhile to get motivated and I even considered not going for my run!  Luckily while I was getting ready, it loosened up and I felt good enough to run on it.  It was still sore and my feet were still sore about 2 miles into my run and I told myself at that point that if I just made it 5 miles I would be ok.  Well I got to my corner where I would normally turn for 5 miles and I felt really good, so I kept on going to my 6 mile turnaround point.  It was actually a really great run after that.  I know it was my own fault for wearing heels and I might regret the decision to push the miles to 6 but I have the time to do it and I want to keep my mileage up.  I don’t want to peter out.  I know taper time is coming and I won’t have a choice, so be prepared for those blog posts about how everything sucks and I just want to go running! LOL  

IMG_9409.JPG


I’m wearing heels again today only they are booties so a little bit more support than my kitten heels yesterday.  We’ll see how this goes!



Thursday 10-8-15
Today was the perfect morning for a 10k run!  It was a perfect run also!  Weather, music, pace, and new shoes!  It was absolutely amazing!  I felt strong and powerful the whole time!  I don’t have much else to say about it!  It was that perfect!  It made the rest of my day amazing!  I felt so positive and awesome all day!

IMG_9413.JPG

I wore heels today for the third day in a row and my feet did well. I wore my booties again so I had some more support.  My ankles were giving me a little trouble when I got home so I wore my brace for a while and that helped.  Tomorrow is Jean Day at work so I will be wearing my running shoes with them!  

I’ve only missed my core workout Wednesday since my hip was hurting.  I am loving how when I put my hands on my hips I can feel the muscles and how tight they are getting.  I know this is really helping my core!  

Mads and I didn’t get to run tonight since it was raining so I pushed it extra hard on my core workout!  It felt amazing!

Friday 10-9-15
Arms got an awesome workout this morning.  I rocked out P90X Shoulders and Arms!  It was fabulous! I picked up those heavy weights and felt so powerful!  I love lifting!  Have I said that before?  But seriously, I do! I really love pushing myself to see how much I can lift, how many reps I can make with good form, and seeing my muscles grow!  I think that is the best part.  I don’t necessarily want to be skinny.  I just want to be fit for my family.  But some nice muscles wouldn’t hurt either!  I am loving how strong my arms are feeling lately!  And I’m only working them out twice a week. I still want to keep it to twice a week after marathon training but I know I need to work other muscle groups.  Here is where my OCD comes in. I am already planning what program I am going to use after my marathon.  Right now I am thinking P90X initially for November, but then I might do the Labrada Lean Body Challenge, only tweak it to lift heavy and with less reps and sets, like the Strong Lifts program.  I’m still thinking about it, but you can bet that I will blog about it when the time comes!   



IMG_9417.JPG
This afternoon, Mads and I made it out for our run.  She didn’t want to initially because she got a new toy from Nana, but she ran with her new horse so she was ok.  She really rocked it.  The portions that we ran, she was running at an 11:00 pace!!  That’s slightly faster than my long run pace!  She is totally going to kill this 5K!  I am so proud of her!!


Saturday 10-3-15
Hubby had to work today so in order to get my miles in I had to be up at the crack of dawn to get at least 10 of them done.  It was very quiet and peaceful!  I really enjoyed it.  I’m always a little nervous running so early in the morning in general, but I’m a little more so on the weekends when there is significantly less traffic.  (Again I am thankful for my blinking vest, headlamp, and flashlight.)  It really was a very nice run.  I thoroughly enjoyed being out by myself.  But what I enjoyed the most was being able to get the hubby off to work, shower, and eat my oatmeal in peace and quiet while watching the Golden Girls.  I did this all summer long and I really miss it!  I love that quiet time in the morning.  I have one more long run of 20 miles next weekend and then hopefully I can have more Saturday mornings like this one.  It was magical!   

IMG_9427.PNG

The kids and I went for a run this afternoon after running errands.  One of those errands being going to the new Dick’s Sporting Goods store.  OMG!  I should not be allowed in there unsupervised!  Luckily, I told Maddie to keep me in line and that we were only there for KT tape and GU.  That’s what we bought.  The kids got some also.  Maddie wanted some for her training and EJ wanted some because Maddie was getting some.  It was really cute.  They were excited to run and use their GU while we were out there.  They actually really liked them.  Maddie had salted caramel and EJ had vanilla bean.  I didn’t let them drink the whole thing at once.  EJ ended up finishing his at home and Maddie saved hers.  EJ petered out on our run again and faked his foot hurting so I would carry him.  I tried to run with him on my back but that was really hard.   We walked most of the way home and then I added a little bit to get to 2 miles.  I wanted to get 12 miles in today and I succeeded!  

This was quite the week.  I am curious how next week will be with running 20 on Saturday!  I’m excited and nervous!  I have no doubt I will do it though!  



Until next time, Run on, my friends!!
And always remember:
316.JPG

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b