Skip to main content

Forging a New Plan

I have discovered that without running I am a completely different person, and one that I do not like!  I need running in my life!  It is my soulmate!  It challenges me!  It comforts me! It is a part of me!  I AM A RUNNER!

Sunday 11-15
I could hardly wait to run today!  I am going to slowly up my daily miles this week, I think.  So today I wanted to do 4 miles.  I got a little extra, but I am ok with that!  I loved it!  It was just what I needed.  It was the perfect start to the day.  I knew today was going to be a busy day, but my run was first priority on my list.  I know I will have such a better day because of it.  I am so happy to be back running I can’t even tell you!  I am such a happier person because  of it!  I am a runner!  I love it!!

IMG_9800.JPG

Monday 11-16
I ran 4.7 miles today!  It was glorious!  I love that I am back to my usual routine of getting up and running in the morning.  It makes me a happy person!  It sets up my day for success and I am able to focus on other things throughout the day instead of worrying about getting home to go for my run!  Granted I do like to sometimes get in an extra run when I’ve had a bad day, but I really like knowing that I don’t HAVE to when I get home.  I can focus on my kids and family.  It’s so nice.  My run was really nice!  It was a slower pace than before but I am happy to be taking it easy on my legs and logging some easy paced miles.  I’m not training for anything so these runs are pure enjoyment!  I would like to make it to 2,015 miles this year since I already surpassed my goal of 1,750, but I will be happy with whatever I can get before the new year begins.  I am taking it easy right now and hope to up my weekend long runs to 10 miles again.  For now, I’m just enjoying the run!

IMG_9807.PNG
I got in a really nice core workout tonight as well  while watching Dancing with the Stars and Monday Night Football.  I did ball sit ups, glute bridges, single leg glute bridges, leg lifts, and metronomes.  It felt really good to get back into this routine as well.  

Tuesday 11-17
Today’s 5.2 mile run was a little rough.  My legs were tired and I was slower than I would have liked to be but I was happy to get out there.  It was sprinkling a little when I went out, but I love running in the rain! I threw on my new Madison Marathon hat and hit the road! I swear I was the only crazy person out there, but I love it!  I love the solitude.  I get my thoughts in order for the day and spend a little time talking to God.  We figure things out on these early morning runs! He also keeps me safe!  

IMG_9811.JPG

Wednesday 11-18
Today’s 5.2 mile run was brought to you by the letter W!  Holy Wind Resistance Batman!  That was crazy.  I’m glad I did it though!  My mind really didn’t want me to but my heart said yes, get out there and do what you love!  It was a lot slower than I would have liked, but the wind didn’t help my pace.  That and my legs are getting pretty sore from all the running I have been doing.  And I keep wearing heels to work!  I don’t know what I have been thinking with that one!  I usually try to get away with wearing my running shoes as much as possible.  I guess I’ve just been feeling fancy lately!  LOL  

IMG_9814.JPG

Thursday 11-19
Today I woke up with a migraine.  I could feel it coming on last night but still didn’t take anything for it. I always think that I can just sleep it off and I’ll be fine.  This rarely works.  So this one this morning was pretty bad.  I almost cancelled my run to take my meds and just go back to bed.  But there is snow coming this weekend so I wanted to get out there and get some miles before this hits.  I am dreading having to start running on the treadmill again. I haven’t been on the treadmill since early April.  I really don’t want to start now, but I live in Wisconsin.  It’s inevitable that I will be on that darn thing sooner rather than later.  

So after taking my meds and getting myself ready, I made it outside to run.  It was not pretty! Between the crazy wind and my migraine, I was super slow and just unmotivated.  I was making excuses left and right for why I should turn around and head home.  Plus my husband had to be to work early this morning so I was pushing it with my time if I was to run my normal 5 mile loop anyway.  Therefore, I decided to cut my run short and run 4.6 miles.  I wanted to even out my numbers before the storm also.  I know I can run Friday but I wanted to be prepared anyway.  I was actually glad that I ran.  I always am, but even more so today.  I am proud of myself for not giving in to the temptation of my bed.  I know that the release of endorphins from running will ease the pain of my migraine.  It always works!  Plus then I don’t feel guilty about eating my awesome protein oatmeal that tastes just like a Reese’s peanut butter cup!  

IMG_9818.JPG
Friday 11-20
So winter has made an appearance in Wisconsin!!  The temperature this morning when I went out was 29 degrees and felt like 19!!!   CRAZY!!!  I did manage to run 5 miles this morning in it. It was actually a lot of fun to bundle up and head out.  I am not looking forward to the snow and ice that will be coming, but the cold I can handle.  I am wanting to get out and run in the snow tomorrow but we will see what happens then.

IMG_9830.JPG

Saturday 11-21
Well, I slept in this morning since it was snowing and I wanted to wait to get out until after it stopped and the roads were cleared up a bit.  I managed to get some work done and then hit the streets for 4 miles. I used my Yak Traks for the first time this season just to be on the safe side and they definitely helped.  They also made my run challenging because I was still trying to be extra careful not to slip.  It was slow going and my breathing was off to start with.  I am just not used to running in this cold of weather quite yet.  I know I live in Wisconsin and I just need to get used to it but I really do not like being out in the cold while having to be careful of slipping on ice!  It just sucks!  

IMG_9848.JPG
I am so thankful that this is the off season for me now.  So I guess I am going to change up my plan again.  I was going to try to still keep running as much as possible as my primary source of working out, but now that it has sunk in that winter is upon us, I am thinking I need to go back to my original plan of lifting more than running.  I needed to burn off some of the goo that I had gained by not running after my marathon, but now that I feel really good again and my body seems to be recovered, I think I am ready to up the ante a bit and get back to lifting.  I know it will be less to begin with but I am looking forward to picking up those big weights again sooner rather than later.  It will feel really good I am sure.  Plus I will still be running, of course.  It might not be everyday (unless my daughter wants to practice for our 5K after school on the treadmill), but I will still be out there on the streets as long as they are pretty clear and there is no ice to worry about, otherwise I’m just going to have to suck it up and use the dreadmill in the morning.

It takes balance to get to where you want to be and I am still looking for that balance.  I will find it.  It’s just been such a challenge the past few weeks since my marathon.  It is weird not having to hit a certain amount of miles because I am training for something.  It’s weird to say I am not training!  I’m not sure I like off season but I’ll get used to it!  It just means I don’t have to go out in the cold as often!!  

Until next time, Run on, my friends!!
And always remember:
316.JPG

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b