Skip to main content

Let's Get to Lifting!!

I can’t believe it is Thanksgiving week!  We are making some lifestyle changes in our family after my Husband’s doctor appointment on Friday.  He is going in for blood work this week to retest his Thyroid and his A1C levels.  When he had his blood work done in January his A1C was 6.4 which is borderline diabetic.  We will see what happens when we get these results, but he knows he needs to make a lifestyle change and as a family we are going to support him.  I am researching low-carb diets and seeing which ones will work for our family and our lifestyle.  I know what we have to do and it’s going to be hard on the kids especially, but we are going to cut out soda and sugary drinks completely and we are going to drastically reduce the amount of sweet dessert treats we have in the house.  We are changing as a family and we are doing it together!  We are a team!  We’ve got this!  I’m just super excited that I am not the only one that will be thinking healthy anymore!  

Sunday 11-22
So today I decided to take a rest day!!!  I know!!! That is so unlike me!!  Well, I am learning about balance over here and since I really didn’t feel like going outside to run in the freezing cold, snow, and ice; and I really didn’t feel like going downstairs to run on the dreadmill, I decided today is the day to learn to appreciate a rest day.  Plus my body was feeling really sore this morning when I woke up.  My lower body is probably sore from all my running and my upper body is sore from shoveling yesterday.  I figured if I wasn’t feeling it that was a good indication that I needed to take a day off.  I would usually just suck it up anyway, but I am also going to start lifting again this week so a day of rest before hand is probably not such a bad idea.  I’m looking forward to working my back, biceps, and some legs tomorrow morning!  It’s going to hurt so good!!!  I can’t wait!!!


Monday 11-23
After a restless night sleeping (I had too much coffee yesterday), I finally got my butt out of bed to go and lift!  Despite being a little tired, I was really excited to do P90X Back and Biceps this morning. I made sure to use lower weights than what I had been using, seeing as it has been 3 weeks since I last lifted.  Trust me, I still felt a burn from this!  I can tell I have lost some strength, obviously, but it actually wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I figured I wouldn’t be able to lift hardly at all and I was able to lift 30s for lawnmowers and consistently use 20s for the bicep moves.  There was sweat pouring, that’s for sure.  

I also did some leg work since I had some time.  I did my deadlift strip set with 40s, 30s, 25s, and 20s for 10 reps.  Then I did single leg deadlifts with 30s, 25s, and 20s for 10 reps.  I did calf raises with 30s, 25s, and 20s for 20 reps and then tried something new.  I did some standing reverse lifts for my booty.  I did 20 reps holding a 20 lb. dumbbell and then I did 20 more reps just holding on to the end table downstairs.  I could really feel it in my booty!!  Going to have to do those more often!  I ended my lifting session with 30 reps of glute bridges.  I felt like I got a really good total body workout today.  I felt very accomplished and I really enjoyed myself.  


IMG_9868.PNG
I got in a little bit of a core workout in tonight as well.  I did ball sit ups, leg lifts, and glute bridges for 50 reps each.  It was just enough work so I felt a burn.  I am going to get my core in shape whether I like it or not.  

I am supposed to run tomorrow per my plan/idea that I had for the week.  The roads by my house were still a huge mess today, so I am not sure if that will happen outside.  I really hate the dreadmill and I know I just need to suck it up and do it anyway, but I almost want to do some more lifting tomorrow.  I probably shouldn’t though because I will wake up really sore from my workout today.  We’ll see!

Tuesday 11-24
Well, as expected I woke up pretty sore from my workout yesterday. I didn’t exactly know the conditions of the roads, but I figured I probably shouldn’t test it.  I don’t need to slip and fall at 5 am and break something.  Therefore, I decided it would probably be a better idea to head downstairs and use the dreadmill.  I really didn’t want to!  I really hate running on that thing.  But I did it! I survived.  I watched Friends on Netflix and it wasn’t so bad.  I ended up running 5.5 minutes in a little over an hour.  I treated the treadmill like I was outside.  I ran as much as I could at a comfortable pace and walked when I needed to.  I didn’t stop moving.  That’s a first for me on the treadmill.  I usually have every excuse to stop the treadmill and stand there catching my breath and staring at the iPad.  I’m proud of myself for not giving up and sticking with it.  

IMG_9874.JPG
My EJ had his Friendship Feast today.  I took a half day off from work so I could attend.  It was so much fun!  We had the best time doing projects, playing games, and eating good food!  I had one of the best afternoons I have had in awhile!  I love that I finally have a position at school where I can take time off without worrying about leaving my students.  Because I team teach and coach other teachers, I am able to take time off without having to get things ready for a sub.  It is so much less stress on myself and the school who has to try and find a sub.  We have a shortage of subs in our district.  Anyway, EJ and I had a great time!  I love spending time with my boy!!

IMG_9875.JPG


Wednesday 11-25
SO I have finally caught the cold going around.  It started last night with a sore throat and gradually got worse all night.  I woke up feeling pretty crappy, but since it is only a work day at school today, I let myself sleep in a little and then drug my butt downstairs for leg day!!  I really was not feeling it at all at first, but once I got myself moving I started to feel better.  I also took some meds before I started.  That helped as well.  I haven’t done P90X Legs and Back in a very long time so I didn’t want to push it too much, plus being sick, I knew that wasn’t a good idea.  I used 15 lb. weights for some of the moves and then just body weight.  Let me tell you that was brutal!  My legs were still sore from Monday’s workout, so they were already feeling it, but I was shaking throughout this workout!  It was a good one, that’s for sure.  I was feeling pretty good when I was finished with the video so I did some reverse leg lifts 20 reps on each side; Deadlifts 10 reps using 40, 30, 25, and 20; Single leg deadlifts 10 reps using 30, 25, and 20; calf raises 20 reps using 30, 25, and 20; I ended with some donkey kicks 20 reps on each side.  I could barely make it up the stairs.  I am thankful that I have work to do at school and can sit for a bit before I come home and start to get ready for my second favorite holiday!  I love Thanksgiving!! It’s going to be a good day, because I am going to make it a good day!  
IMG_9886.JPG


Until next time, Run on, my friends!!
And always remember:
316.JPG

Laura

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b