Skip to main content

Why Running is My Therapy

Remember back in middle school gym class when it was time to run "The Mile?" Believe it or not, but that was the worst day of my life!! I hated running the mile!! I was lucky if I could run/walk it in 15 minutes!! It sucked and I hated every minute of it!  I'm so glad I've gotten past all that!!



It's been a trying week for me and running has been my refuge! It's exactly what I needed to release my anger and frustration. It's been cold so I've had to run on the treadmill for the most part and I'm ok with that. I've been watching Friends on Netflix mostly. There was one day that I was feeling really angry and frustrated so I cranked my running playlist and it was like God knew exactly what songs I needed that night! It was pure bliss and I ran 5 of the fastest miles I had in quite a while! 


Before running, I probably would have turned to food to ease my troubles! Running makes me feel like nothing else I have ever felt before! I feel empowered and like I can conquer the world when I run! It's an obsession but one that I can feel proud of! I know I am doing better for myself and my family when I run. 


This is how bad my obsession truly is! I actually do know how far a mile is from my house in every direction!! It's nice to have an idea of how far you have to go to reach home!  This actually came in very handy today as I was out for a run! I ventured outside today for a run this afternoon. I haven't done this in quite some time and today, even though it was feeeezing cold, was bright and sunny and I just couldn't resist any longer! Luckily my hubby got me this awesome Tech Gear coat for Christmas that really holds the heat while you are running! I had just a tech t-shirt on underneath and my arms were dripping in sweat! I could feel the droplets rolling down my arms while I was running. It wasn't until I got home that I started to get cold!! Thank goodness for chili, warm corn bread, and coffee for dinner! 

I always feel awesome after a run!! 

What I am most proud of is that I started running! If you would have told the middle school me that I would have ran 3 half marathons last year and was training for a full marathon this year, I would have thought you were completely crazy! I am proud of my accomplishments and the example I am setting for my kids! I hope one day they run races with me! 


Running has saved me! It's made me a stronger person spiritually, physically, and mentally. It's made me resilient. It's made me overcome obstacles I have placed in front of myself for whatever reason. I have no fear when I am faced with a challenge. I thank God everyday for the blessing that is running! 


So run on my friends! It's a precious gift! 


Laura 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Inspired Endurance Giveaway

I HAVE SOMETHING SUPER AWESOME TO SHARE!! READ ON TO FIND OUT MORE!!! Several times during the past 3 weeks I have been wearing these 2 awesome bracelets from Inspired Endurance.  It was brought to my attention about 4 weeks ago that they were looking for bloggers to wear their jewelry and write a review about them.  I was honored to be able to do this.  I asked for the 13.1 charm for myself and the run charm to give away.  I have been wearing both to see what it would be like to wear multiple bracelets from them.  I love them!  I love them so much that I am actually going to purchase the 26.2 charm to wear with my 13.1 charm so that I can wear 2 of them all the time!   They are so comfortable to wear that I hardly notice that I have them on!  I am a teacher so I am running around all day working with kids, working the copy machine, and typing on the computer.  Normally dangly bracelets will end up driving me crazy about halfway through the day.  These ones have not bothe

MADISON MARATHON 26.2~I AM A MARATHONER!!!!

OMG!!!!!   I DID IT!!! I RAN A MARATHON!!!  I AM A MARATHONER!!!!  I seriously cannot believe I did it! I am still in shock days later! I completed a marathon!  I didn’t DNF! I wanted to several times towards the end, but thanks to some awesome new running friends, I made it through the entire 26.2 miles!  I feel ridiculously sore, but I am the happiest and proudest I think I have ever been of myself!  I DID IT!!!!   I was so nervous waking up this morning!  I didn’t fully know what to expect since it was my first full, but I have run so many other races that I just used my normal routine to get myself going.  I ate breakfast and got myself dressed, then went on to waking up the rest of my crew.  My awesome Mother-in-law spent the night since we had to be up and going so early.  I wanted to leave the house by 5:45 but we never leave when I want to.  Getting my crew up and going is quite a feat this early in the morning!  We were out the door by 6 so I was happy about that.  I just

I may have a Serious Addiction!!!!

In the past 3 weeks I have ran 41, 45, and 46 miles!! Those are some crazy totals considering I would have been lucky to have a total of 20 miles a week back in October/November of last year! I definitely have my mojo back!! I keep wanting to push myself more and more with my running! My legs are feeling strong and powerful and I love it!! I am super proud of how far I have come with my running.  Back when I started running almost 3 years ago, I had a hard time running a full mile on the treadmill and it took me between 13-15 minutes to do it! I would get so down on myself, thinking that I would never be able to run a 10 minute mile! Now I can run that consistently for long distances, but I get down on myself when I can't maintain 9 minute miles for a 5K! I need to just be proud of myself for how far I have come with my running! I will get there! I'm just always in such a competiton with myself! I know I can I can do so much better with my nutrition so I am going to read this b